Skip to main content

Tuesday Teacher Tips - March 18 - Data Made Easy, Gabby & Gator, Random Group Picker


Data Made Easy & Working Towards Closing the Gap

When I taught English I was a bit obsessed with analyzing unit test results to see which content I needed to re-teach.  I spent hours identifying the skill each question covered, going through student tests, and tallying up the numbers.  Despite the painstaking challenge of reviewing all the test data I had generated in class, the process paid off in the long run because I could see the areas that we needed to work on.  As I “perfected” my system, I began to share the results with students, and they began to set individual goals for progress.  This process was even more rewarding as students achieved goals and a greater understanding of the content.

Needless to say, when I saw The Instant Data idea collection technique from Tonya’s Treats for Teachers, I had a forehead slap moment.  The idea is so simple and quick that I really wish I had seen this years ago.  After a class test in math, Tonya created a grid with each of the test numbers on it, and had students color in the box for the number if they got it wrong.  She then took the grids, pasted them in a file folder in a line and had a quick visual of  which numbers students struggled with the most.  While this shows clearly what questions students struggled with, it also could throw up a red flag about the item itself.

While I thought this data collection grid was brilliant, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that if the grid was modified slightly, so that the numbers were organized by skill on the grid, this would give teachers & students an idea of what skills students were struggling with on each unit.  Imagine having this kind of quick data weekly instead of quarterly or yearly—imagine working with students to use these grids to develop skill based goals.  Closing the gap could become a snap as all stakeholders see strengths and weaknesses clearly.  I fooled around with the idea and created my own Test Data template.  Check it out—I provided brief instructions so that you could modify it to meet your own needs.

 Gabby & Gator: A Graphic Novel to Teach Characterization
Graphic novels are hard to share with a large group, but if you have a document camera, Gabby & Gator by James Burks could be a fun one to share with your 1-3 graders. 
The story follows the adventures of a misunderstood alligator and a misunderstood girl.  It deals with themes such as judgment and bullying, and provides a good example of dynamic character.
If you need a new way to introduce character and want to help students explore theme development, this could be a good change for a class read aloud!
Smart Notebook—Random Group Picker
If you have trouble sorting kids into “random” groups—or if it causes a fight each time you do assign, you could make sue of the Random Group Picker in Smart Notebook Gallery to do the dirty work for you.
To locate the template, click on the Gallery Icon (The one that looks like a picture in a frame).  Search Group. Choose the Interactive and Multimedia folder, then click and drag the icon that says Random Group Picker  into your Smart Notebook window.
To edit the template, simply click in each of the boxes and type the names of the students.  When you are ready to generate groups, select the number of groups you need and click “Generate”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Library Centers for Kindergarten & First Grade

Center Inspiration After much debate at the end of last school year, I was able to get 10 extra minutes added on to each of my classes for this year boosting class library time from 35 minutes a week to 45 minutes a week for my fixed schedule.  For me, 35 minutes a week, just wasn't enough to pack in all the awesomeness I wanted to achieve.  It seemed like we would just be getting started into something great when it was time to go. I was thrilled to know that this year I was going to have the extra time to work with my classes on research skills and technology projects while working in more time to allow them to browse the shelves and look at books.  That being said, truth be told, I was completely freaked out about what to do with my kindergartners for 45 minutes. Did I mention in my former life, I was a high school English teacher?  Four years ago, my first two weeks in an elementary library were a complete culture shock to me. I was used to walking into a room and just say

Project Genre-fy the Fiction Section!

After a lot of thinking, I finally decided to take the leap this summer and move the fiction section of my elementary library from the traditional first-three-letters-of-the-last- name organization to a genre based organization. Now that the project is almost complete, I cannot wait to get the kids back in the library so I can show them! Deciding Factors There are many reasons individual teacher librarians might choose to genrefy their library.  For me, I was driven to start with the fiction section because I've noticed an alarming drop off in students checking out books by the time they get to fifth grade.  This drop off could be for any number of reasons: increased activities after school, loss of interest in the materials they see on the shelf, lack of time, or they could be overwhelmed by book after book organized by letter. I realized, too, that although my 3-5 graders don't ask for "funny" books or "animal" stories, they seem to get stuck on c

Digital Interactive Notebooks: Getting Started

Post appeared also on FtEdTech It's no real secret that I love Digital Interactive Notebooks.  I create them every chance I get and encourage teachers to use them for everything from long term Project Based Learning (PBL) projects to weekly unit work with vocabulary .   The Interactive Notebook (INB) has long been a staple of the classroom to engage students more directly with their notes.  The traditional interactive notebook often includes traditional student notes, questions, and interactives that students cut, fold, color and paste into their notebooks. You might find graphic organizers, pockets with measuring tools, data charts, and foldables that act as study aides.  In the NSTA article " Science Interactive Notebooks in the Classroom " Jocelyn Young explains the benefits of INB when she shares that " By using notebooks, students model one of the most vital and enduring functions of scientists in all disciplines—recording information, figures, and data.