Skip to main content

Tuesday Teacher Tips - May 7- Tips for test anxiety, inference, summarizing and theme


Click on underlined text to see links. 


Stressing over the test?




From Flickr - Fort Worth Squatch
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedavisblog/2230010178/

Do your students have a lot of test anxiety when it comes to end of course or high stakes standardized tests? Helping students remember that they are prepared and of course creating a positive environment can go a long way in relieving anxiety and encouraging student success.

Selina at Classroom Magic reads her students the story Testing Miss Malarkey by Judy Finchler Kevin O’Malley and discusses test anxiety with them (we currently don’t have this book, but it is in at the Newport branch of the public library). Then she uses the mnemonic SWEET (Stay positive, Work hard, Examine the questions, Eliminate wrong answers, and Take all the time given) to help her students remember they are prepared.

Another  mnemonic “Thank Goodness I Can Read Better” comes from Scholastic’s “Prepare Students for Standardized Tests” page and uses the first letter of each word (T = take your time, G= go back to the story to find answers, I = italics are important, C= check your work, R= read all the choices, B= bubble correctly).

Sheet bubbling can be a challenge for many young students.  Consider using The Bubble Test Form Generator from Catpin Productions, and have students practice filling in bubbles ahead of time, so you can give them feedback.

Do you have kids who need a little extra help with test anxiety?  It might help to share with them “When Tests Make You Nervous” a KidsHealth article that explains what test anxiety is and gives some practical ways to help alleviate it.


Hooray for Diffendoofer Day!

Celebrate all the things your class has learned (and all the teachers who have helped along the way) with Dr. Seuss Hooray for Diffendoofer Day!
Even the students at Diffendoofer get nervous when it’s time to test, but Mrs. Bonkers says it best: “’Don’t fret!‘She said ‘You’ve learned the things you need to pass the that test and many more– I’m certain you’ll succeed!”’.
Need some teaching idea for the book?  Check out the Seussville guide for some ideas.
Three ELA Quickies – Inference, Summarizing & Theme
Inferences—check out this blog post “Feasting on Inferences” from a Year of Many “Firsts”.  If you scroll down the page, there is an example of a graphic organizer that you can get for free that will help students organize “What I already Know + Words from the Text = What I Infer”.
Summarizing—Summarize story elements with the “Somebody Wanted But So” strategy.  Check it out at Educational Communications Board
Theme—use movie clips to introduce universal themes.  You can search by theme at movieclip.com—as a warning though, not all clips may be school appropriate so preview them before using with your class.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Genre-fy the Fiction Section!

After a lot of thinking, I finally decided to take the leap this summer and move the fiction section of my elementary library from the traditional first-three-letters-of-the-last- name organization to a genre based organization. Now that the project is almost complete, I cannot wait to get the kids back in the library so I can show them! Deciding Factors There are many reasons individual teacher librarians might choose to genrefy their library.  For me, I was driven to start with the fiction section because I've noticed an alarming drop off in students checking out books by the time they get to fifth grade.  This drop off could be for any number of reasons: increased activities after school, loss of interest in the materials they see on the shelf, lack of time, or they could be overwhelmed by book after book organized by letter. I realized, too, that although my 3-5 graders don't ask for "funny" books or "animal" stories, they seem to get stuck on c

Library Centers for Kindergarten & First Grade

Center Inspiration After much debate at the end of last school year, I was able to get 10 extra minutes added on to each of my classes for this year boosting class library time from 35 minutes a week to 45 minutes a week for my fixed schedule.  For me, 35 minutes a week, just wasn't enough to pack in all the awesomeness I wanted to achieve.  It seemed like we would just be getting started into something great when it was time to go. I was thrilled to know that this year I was going to have the extra time to work with my classes on research skills and technology projects while working in more time to allow them to browse the shelves and look at books.  That being said, truth be told, I was completely freaked out about what to do with my kindergartners for 45 minutes. Did I mention in my former life, I was a high school English teacher?  Four years ago, my first two weeks in an elementary library were a complete culture shock to me. I was used to walking into a room and just say

Digital Interactive Notebooks: Getting Started

Post appeared also on FtEdTech It's no real secret that I love Digital Interactive Notebooks.  I create them every chance I get and encourage teachers to use them for everything from long term Project Based Learning (PBL) projects to weekly unit work with vocabulary .   The Interactive Notebook (INB) has long been a staple of the classroom to engage students more directly with their notes.  The traditional interactive notebook often includes traditional student notes, questions, and interactives that students cut, fold, color and paste into their notebooks. You might find graphic organizers, pockets with measuring tools, data charts, and foldables that act as study aides.  In the NSTA article " Science Interactive Notebooks in the Classroom " Jocelyn Young explains the benefits of INB when she shares that " By using notebooks, students model one of the most vital and enduring functions of scientists in all disciplines—recording information, figures, and data.