Skip to main content

A Pandemic Letter to my Colleagues

How we doin', Fort Thomas? 

We're coming up on a year of teaching through a pandemic, and the journey has been the greatest test of our careers. We can compare most years to a marathon: a race to the finish, that we're prepared for, and can find ourselves looking up and enjoying the downhills and the crowds. 

Photo by Artem Verbo on Unsplash
This year is more like one of those ultra triathlons, and at times, you might feel like you're swimming through shark infested waters, barely coming up for breath. And, remarkably, when I look around at what is happening in the world, I know you are in the lead. You have found strength inside of yourselves you might not know existed and have treaded through impossible waters to reach kids.

Disillusionment to Rejuvenation


In a traditional year, according to the book Mentoring Matters, February and March are a time for "rejuvenation". We've spent some long months in disillusionment, and we're cruising downhill on our year, and feeling anticipation for what is at the end. We start planning for the future, planning fun things for our students after testing, and looking forward to a break in the action.

This year, in particular, it may be difficult to tap into that feeling of rejuvenation, and we may feel that our resilience is being tested. I don't have the answers for getting out of the feeling of disillusionment, and I wish there was a magic recipe for success In the book Onward by Elena Aguilar, she points to the idea of cultivating resilience though learning, playing and creating. Playing and creating have always been a big part of the way I deal with stress. I tap into my primary "Love Language" through "Acts of Service", and I also dig into new learning. For me, learning through play and creating is a huge deal. I bought a Cricut and made a bunch of tshirts for my sisters and nieces, I make a pot of tea (an art form I have been learning about) and I throw myself into a maker project, or I take on a new academic focus, or I cook a giant pot of soup and drop off containers to people I know can use a little lift. It helps me climb out of the rut.

This winter, to fuel my need to learn and grow, I decided to take part in the "Winter Explorations and Connections" NextGen series. The explorations are a series of conversations facilitated by Tom Welch, and have been one of those things that my education "tuning fork" needed to get back into a bias towards action.

Embracing The Fire


Photo by Josh Berendes on Unsplash
In our first conversation, Tom shared an analogy, in which he compared the pandemic to a prairie fire. For centuries, prairie fires, were used to encourage the growth of tender grasses that bison preferred. The fires also contributed to a nutrient dense soil for successful farming and naturally kept the prairies from turning into forest. These fires, now done in a controlled way, contribute to the diversity of the ecosystem, burning away old growth and making room for new.

Through our discussion last week, Tom asked us to consider how the prairie fire is like the pandemic in education. What if we could treat the pandemic like an opportunity to burn away practices that are no longer useful to us and cultivate a richer learning community? What would that look like?

I am often drawn to fire imagery and the archetypal concept of regrowth through fire, so this discussion has really stuck with me. 

I keep wondering: "What if we are so worried about stamping out the fire, that we are missing the opportunity to grow?"

Photo by Alexandru Tudorache on Unsplash
I wonder what we need, in this moment, to be able to pause and look around and recognize that we are on the downhill part of our year? How might we get through the shark infested water and step out onto a land that has survived a burn and is fertile for new planting? How might we embrace the fire that is this pandemic and come out on the other side stronger?

We survived the Fall, and we are making it through the Winter and are on the cusp of Spring. How might we prepare our classroom landscapes for new opportunities through reflection? What, in our control, do we want to leave behind so that we can move forward?

It might not feel that way right now, but we are surrounded by the opportunities and the right people to get things done. Land is in sight, the fire is doing its work to create an earth ripe for new growth, the nature around us is preparing the way for when we're ready for the changes we need. 

You've got this.

I'm here when you need me, Fort Thomas. 

- Heidi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Library Centers for Kindergarten & First Grade

Center Inspiration After much debate at the end of last school year, I was able to get 10 extra minutes added on to each of my classes for this year boosting class library time from 35 minutes a week to 45 minutes a week for my fixed schedule.  For me, 35 minutes a week, just wasn't enough to pack in all the awesomeness I wanted to achieve.  It seemed like we would just be getting started into something great when it was time to go. I was thrilled to know that this year I was going to have the extra time to work with my classes on research skills and technology projects while working in more time to allow them to browse the shelves and look at books.  That being said, truth be told, I was completely freaked out about what to do with my kindergartners for 45 minutes. Did I mention in my former life, I was a high school English teacher?  Four years ago, my first two weeks in an elementary library were a complete culture shock to me. I was used to walking into a room and just say

Project Genre-fy the Fiction Section!

After a lot of thinking, I finally decided to take the leap this summer and move the fiction section of my elementary library from the traditional first-three-letters-of-the-last- name organization to a genre based organization. Now that the project is almost complete, I cannot wait to get the kids back in the library so I can show them! Deciding Factors There are many reasons individual teacher librarians might choose to genrefy their library.  For me, I was driven to start with the fiction section because I've noticed an alarming drop off in students checking out books by the time they get to fifth grade.  This drop off could be for any number of reasons: increased activities after school, loss of interest in the materials they see on the shelf, lack of time, or they could be overwhelmed by book after book organized by letter. I realized, too, that although my 3-5 graders don't ask for "funny" books or "animal" stories, they seem to get stuck on c

Digital Interactive Notebooks: Getting Started

Post appeared also on FtEdTech It's no real secret that I love Digital Interactive Notebooks.  I create them every chance I get and encourage teachers to use them for everything from long term Project Based Learning (PBL) projects to weekly unit work with vocabulary .   The Interactive Notebook (INB) has long been a staple of the classroom to engage students more directly with their notes.  The traditional interactive notebook often includes traditional student notes, questions, and interactives that students cut, fold, color and paste into their notebooks. You might find graphic organizers, pockets with measuring tools, data charts, and foldables that act as study aides.  In the NSTA article " Science Interactive Notebooks in the Classroom " Jocelyn Young explains the benefits of INB when she shares that " By using notebooks, students model one of the most vital and enduring functions of scientists in all disciplines—recording information, figures, and data.